[Gllug] Detecting attempts to contact another machine and acting o

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Mar 13 08:02:49 UTC 2007

> On 12 Mar 2007, t. clarke told this:
>> Can't the 'slug' simply listem on a suitable port for an incoming
>> connection
>> and run a user-space application which fires off the appropriate WoL
>> packet to
>> the other machine?
>
> Wouldn't it need to listen on all ports at once, transparently? If you
> were
> able to send a custom packet first then you could just make that packet
> the WoL packet and eliminate the need for the slug at all.

Precisely.  I see the slug listening for the "ARP Who-has?" request,
noting the lack of response and then firing off a WoL packet.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I think I have enough to get started now.

I still have this vague recollection of seeing a HowTo back in the dim and
distant past which had instructions for doing something very similar using
dummy IP addresses.  Each machine had its own real IP address, and then
another dummy address was allocated which both might pretend to be.  I
wish I could remember exactly where I saw it.

Cheers,
John