[Gllug] OT Internet connection

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 16:52:27 UTC 2007

I want to get rid of my BT line. Being long retired, having
significant medical problems and no need for many telephone
conversations, my quarterly bill is around £42 and only £4
of that is for calls. I cannot get a discount on line rental
since I pay ClaraNet for 120 hours of dial-up per month and
BT say that what they are paid by ClaraNet does not included
anything to cover line maintenance. Now BT intend to charge
me £16 per annum if I do not pay them by direct debit. I'm
p....d o.f by the sheer arrogant all round greed!!

Now I must be able to call for urgent medical attention
when this is required. A pay-as-you-go mobile 'phone would
cover this, but then I need internet access.

I have been interested in a pure wireless connection provided
by now.com but have been unable to find anyone in London who
uses this service (it seems, they operate mainly in the Thames
Valley area west of London). If my memory is correct, John
Winters, who used to regularly attend GLLUG meetings when I was
able to and still frequently posts, lives/lived in their area.
Does he by any chance know of now.com and whether their service
can be used with Linux?

Virgin Media perhaps would do - broadband and telephone with the
same BT number for £26. However, I've no idea what the service
is like and exactly what is actually involved in the 'fair
usage policy' (I know what they say, but ??!!).

Can any members of the Group offer me any advice or suggestions?
It's not the actual outlay that is the problem, it's the value
offered for it. Virtually all major organisations now make price
increases which just drop down to the bottom line. It seems ages
since I've seen anyone justify a charge or a price increase -
some say "we haven't put up our prices for x years" (what
justification that is defeats me), and magazines seem never to
mention increases the price on the cover just changes.

Sorry to ramble on!

Cheers,

John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk