[Gllug] OT Internet connection

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 22:15:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:39:08 +0000 Ben Whyte <ben at whyte-systems.co.uk>
wrote:

> > That's interesting. We've been contacted by our council landlord
> > telling us that they are considering installing a Sky shared dish
> > at a cost of £25/year to each tenant. If Sky are offering it for
> > free I think the council's offer needs to be investigated. :(
> >
> > Jason
> >

> In the flat that I used to own the managing company, wrote to us all
> saying that they would be replacing all dishes and arials, with a
> combined system for all tenants providing digital tv, sky and digital
> radio.  The sky being run from a combined dish to the flats, and then
> people only needed the box to connect.
>
> The contractors came in and fitted combined arial sockets to each
> flat giving all the arial points for the above services, and tidied
> up behind them.
>
> The cost of this to us, was a one off £10 on the service charge, so
> if the council want to charge you £25 year, you need to look at.
>
> Ben

There's always a cost in being a middleman. Someone at the council
probably plucked the figure of an average of 50p per tenant per week
out of thin air. It sounds like a minimal figure, but - as Jason has
sussed - it's actually quite high. The real cost of dealing with
problems, complaints, etc is probably a lot lower,

--
 All the best,
 John