[Gllug] OT Internet connection

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Mar 15 13:33:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, John G Walker wrote:

> > > Things like life-saving services should be factored in as overhead
> > > costs. If a businessman can't work out how to pay his overheads and
> > > make a profit, why should the public subsidise him? (Or her?)
> >
> > Why should it be an overhead for a business?
>
> Because it costs them money. That is what an overhead is,

That's not a valid reason for the business to have to pay it. This is a
hold over from the days of the GPO operating the phone network as a state
monopoly. and those days are very much long gone.

There is no valid reason why a business should have to fund what is
practically the only means of access to emergency services except in the
normal course of taxes as per everyone else.

Emergency services are a vital state sector service.

The fact here is that increasingly people are starting to use VoIP which
often does not offer 999 access because of the cost as well as the
technical difficulties in stating the location of the caller.

It't not reasonable for the caller to have to pay but it is rediculous
that the telco has to pay exhorbitant fees to terminate a call to the
emergency services.

I'd have no problem with providing free transit for such calls across the
network but the current situation is grossly unfair.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98