[Gllug] Did anyone notice this?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 20:13:40 UTC 2007

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> The BBC are reporting that the Tories are calling for Open Source
> Software for Government:
>
>  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6430069.stm
>
> Is this "bandwagon jumping", or do they mean it?

They're in opposition, and it's a very obvious way to reduce government
spending without suggesting anything unpopular like cuts. No one is
going to complain that the government is giving Microsoft too little
money. It is an entirely sensible thing to do as well, of course.

So, I'd say they mean it today, but whether they'd actually do it if
they got in is another matter. Hands up who remembers Labour's quote on
encryption technology from 1997? That was followed up by the RIP act, in
one of the more egregious bits of hypocrisy they've indulged in.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk