[Gllug] Mailbox compacting

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 08:13:10 UTC 2007

"t.clarke" writes:

>Surely identifying the start of an email by looking for a blank
>line followed by From xxxxxx at domain is extremely 'iffy' ? If such a
>sequence occurs within the body of an email that completely screws
>things up ??? Whilst \01\01\01\01 at both start and end of an email
>would seem overkill, a delimiting sequence of characters that cannot
>occur anywhere in the bodu of an email would seem the best way of
>doing things, if all emails for a user are going to end up in one
>file.

"cannot occur"? Why not. I agree, it's an unlikely sequence to find
in the body of an email message, but off the top of my head, I can't
think of any reason why it shouldn't work. There were a few mail
systems years ago that would corrupt anything with non-printable
characters (where the definition of "non-printable" varied between
systems). But I haven't seen any of those for nearly 20 years now,
and SMTP is guaranteed to be 7-bit clean.

Tet