[Gllug] Free Vs enterprise OSS releases

Yashpal Nagar yash at linux-delhi.org
Wed Mar 28 16:16:26 UTC 2007

Hi there,

As we know Redhat and SUSE few major vendors for enterprise class Linux
distribution do also have their free/community driven distributions like
Fedors & Opensuse. Now lately we have noticed that few softwares
releases become rapidly available from Fedora, Opensuse rather than
principle vendor SUSE or Redhat itself in their enterprise class OS.

e.g apache 2.2.4 rpms are available from Opensuse but not yet available
from Novell for their enterprise class of OS.
http://software.opensuse.org/download/Apache/SUSE_Linux_10.0/x86_64/

What i want to know here is, as a practice should one go ahead and
install (on top of RHEL/SUSE) such updates/packages from Fedora or
Opensuse, whenever they become available? if yes what could happen to
the server when you apply service packs which lately become available
from Redhat or Novell, service pack installation would't comlain & run
with no trouble? if no - then what are the reasons?

Regards
Yashpal

PS: Sorry for cross posting :)

--