[Gllug] OT Internet connection

J. Dudley Swale jackds at clara.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 12:50:12 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 11:31, Elliot Moore wrote:
> On 13 Mar 2007, at 18:48, J. Dudley Swale wrote:
> > Have had two breaks of service so far one lasted less than an hour
> > and was
> > attributed to a technical fault the other lasted about twenty three
> > hours
> > when someone dug up and broke a fibre cable and a new one had to be
> > laid.
> > All in all verry much better than BT.
>
> Do you live in N7/N19, was this 23hr outage a couple of weeks ago? :O)
> Took out TV and internet (thankfuly not phone so i could dialup)
> I called Virgin support before the outage news hit their website and
> was told I'd need an engineer visit (to arrive 7 days later) as my
> cable box was broken..
> I refused the visit, i'd kinda worked out that it was an area problem
> as TV/internet was also down on my neighbor and it would have saved
> me £10 fine as I would have forgotten to cancel the engineer at a
> later date.
> ells..

No I am in CR7. The long outage was last Saturday, knew that it was a network
problem because the phone still worked (it did on the only other outage I
have had as well).
A neighbour involved in the outage  booked a service visit for the Monday
thinking that their box was faulty and Virgin rang them back and cancelled it
for them.
From what I can gather from other users the first customer to report an area
problem is always told that they need an  engineer visit but that while
Virgin/Telewest are checking out the fault they find that it is on their kit
not his and call him back to explain and cancel the visit.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk