[Gllug] Firefox/Gnome media player

sas.18752793 at bloglines.com sas.18752793 at bloglines.com
Sat Mar 10 10:42:12 UTC 2007

--- Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk wrote:
Perhaps a
stupid question. I use Fedora Core 6, Gnome desktop and
> Firefox 1.5.0.10
 Every time I click on some Realaudio or video stream
> from the BBC, using
their webpage embedded player it launches Totem
> (which obviously doesn't
work).
> The 'listen using standalone realplayer' option works fine (ie launches

> realplayer!) but this option is not there for the 'listen again' links.

> Good ideas on setting this please? It is not as simple as it sounds
- on
> suggestion I Googled for said to remove all libtotem* files in the

> plugins directory. Surely setting a media helper application like that

> is easy in Gnome? And no, editing some obscure XML file is not "easy".

I just uninstalled the Totem plugin package (Totem will still work as a
standalone player):
rpm -e totem-mozplugin

AFAIK Gnome has nothing to
do with the video/audio player used by Firefox- it's handled through browser
plugins. I think RealPlayer comes with a suitable plugin, but it might not
be enabled by default.