[Gllug] Fedora/Dell Clock Problems

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 13:05:28 UTC 2007

My impression has always been that the battery on the Mobo only retains the
date/time info in the CMOS whilst powered down.  Once powered up the mobo
timer should supply info to the o-s as to real time elapsing.  I think the
o-s gets the elapsed time info from the TSC cycle counter on the CPU,  and
converts the count into real time using a formula.  Presumably the o-s needs
to discover the cock frequency for this to work  - and if it is calculating
using the wrong frequency the o-s clock will be correspondingly wrong.
So maybe its either a) a software problem   or  b) are cpu problem  ??

I assume incidentally that the 'adjtime' function hasn't been invoked somehow
by a daemon and is slewing the clock ?

Tim