[Gllug] who is going to the novell roadshow tomorrow?

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Mon Mar 5 13:34:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 01:26:17PM -0000, Juergen Schinker wrote:

<snip kook-smelling Novell ref>

> opinions?

I don't think Novell are an MS-ish evil empire. Their business for a
long time has been providing fairly robust client/server/network service
software for large business. They have embraced the Linux OS, with SuSE
as their chosen distribution, to further their goal of regaining their
dominance in that market. In which their more direct competitors are
IBM, Oracle etc as much as Microsoft.

As it happens they sponsor an enormous amount of open source and kernel
development, second perhaps only to Redhat (who also exist to sell
support for Linux - are they also an evil empire? Is anybody evil if
they make money from open source?) in magnitude. SuSE and Linux in
general are better off for their investment.

Have no doubt, Linux has benefitted enormously from Novell's patronage.
I'm sure Novell have benefitted too, but is that really a problem? Did
you do any work at all to gain the benefit of their expense?

/joel