[Gllug] Hardware comparisons

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 21:56:43 UTC 2007

Re SCSI drives and RAID:-

I have personally always found SCSI drives to be more reliable than IDE.
I would guess the same to be true for SATA as well.   A case of 'you get
what you pay for'  maybe ?    If cost is not a big part of the equation I
would go for U320 SCSI discs with a good controller.   The LSI logic
'fusion' controllers seem very good  (we use an onboard one) and LSI supply
their own drivers for most OSes  including LInux.   LSI also do a dual
(and single) channel 'Megaraid' SCSI Raid Card.   It seems to me that
a good hardware raid card is a better option than software raid, especially
if you go for the dual channel card;  a)  the card does all the hard work
leaving the CPU to do other things as already stated by others   b) I assume
the dual channel card allows disc writes to be parallelised to some extent
(possibly totally if going for Raid 1) thus speeding up I-O

Tim