[Gllug] laptop battery problem

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 26 16:44:09 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I have a laptop which seems to be overheating, so I have decided to send
it back for repair. On further investigation, it turns out that the
overheating is most likely related to the battery. If I leave the laptop
switched off but plugged in overnight, then in the morning it is very
hot. If I leave it not charging, then it has cooled down. Also, if I
leave it plugged in whilst using it, then it gets very hot. However if I
keep unplugging it so that the battery is always slightly undercharged,
the heating problems don't occur.

The other thing I notice is that, even after leaving it plugged in for a
night, the battery display never shows 100%, it is always something like
70%.

My theory is that the battery is getting fully charged, but the machine
is not recognising this, and is trying to keep charging it, which leads
to the excess power being dissipated as heat. The PSU is rather large on
this machine, and it also gets very hot - which somewhat confirms my
theory. This is a recent problem, the laptop is almost 3 years old (so
the warranty expires soon), and the problems have been happening over
the last 6 months or so.

Before I send it back though, I was wondering if it could be the fault
of the operating system. Is it possible that Linux is misreporting the
battery charge ? How could I possibly check for this ?

Any suggestions/advice appreciated.

Gabriel.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk