[Gllug] Mailbox compacting

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 07:35:26 UTC 2007

Yes,   our mail on SCO is in MMDF format  -  sorry  I should have mentioned
that!  I was under the impression it was a variant of mbox format, in that all
the emails are in one file, one after the other !
For us it works well enough and doesn't gobble up inodes or waste disc space
at the end of allocated blocks.

Surely identifying the start of an email by looking for a blank line followed
by From  xxxxxx at domain is extremely 'iffy' ?  If such a sequence occurs within
the body of an email that completely screws things up ???  Whilst \01\01\01\01
at both start and end of an email would seem overkill, a delimiting sequence of
characters that cannot occur anywhere in the bodu of an email would seem the
best way of doing things, if all emails for a user are going to end up in one
file.

Tim