[Gllug] Signed here

Mark Williams mark at aziraphale.homeip.net
Wed Mar 21 14:20:02 UTC 2007

>    Will one of the Debian experts please help sort a bit of
> confusion here.  I have been using apt-proxy to try to reduce my
> downloads from the web, and it has worked very well in the
> past. There is now a pair of files called /Release and /Release.gpg
> present on the main mirror sites, and these are replaced from time
> to time. The latest update was yesterday.
>
>    I have had previous problems as all boxes complained repeatedly
> about the Release.gpg file provided by my apt-proxy, then ignored
> the apt-proxy and collected their updates from the main mirrors, but
> I thought this problem had cleared. The latest problem does appear
> to have sorted itself by just re-running aptitude. I run aptitude
> most days on each local box to collect any updates, and each box
> complained a couple of times just after the files were updated, then
> settled down again.
>
>    The two files are totally replaced, there is no "previous
> version" within the replacements. Are all the packages on each
> mirror site signed or modified to reflect the contents of these two
> files, so that all the files held in my apt-proxy must be replaced
> at the same time?

It transpires that I misled you at the last GLLUG meeting---I am using
apt-cacher rather than apt-proxy, having switched a couple of years
ago for reasons which I can't remember.  That seems to be running well
ATM.

Are you sure that apt-proxy is still a going concern?  The contents of
<URL:http://apt-proxy.sourceforge.net/> don't exactly inspire
confidence.  The ChangeLog for the Debian unstable package shows only
NMU activity in recent times.  As is the case with all free software,
if there's only a single developer who's lost interest then the ball
is in your court.  You say in your latest e-mail on the mailing list
that you are not a programmer---but as apt-proxy is written in Python,
I think you are possibly putting unnecessary obstacles in front of
yourself.  Have a go at seeing whether you can identify any code which
would support or refute your theory about the search directories for
the Release file.  The worst that could happen is for your brain to
explode :-).

Have you tried using the plain upstream version?  If any of the Debian
NMUs coincided with your first noticing the failure, I know where I'd
start looking...

--
Mark