[Gllug] Recommendations please for FAST Remote X Window desktop on Windows

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed May 30 17:07:05 UTC 2007

On 30/05/07, Juergen.Schinker <ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net> wrote:
> My knowledge is when you link GPL'ed librarys the projects must be
> GPL'ed as well

They wrote both, so it's allowed.  Similarly, there are libraries out
there with "dual" licenses, like Qt.  Of course, this can only work
when all library authors agree to it.

> > I downloaded the free nxserver etc but it is compiled for sarge and
> > dependent on an older gcc.
> >
> > So I'm looking at freenx for etch currently, thanks.
> Use Gentoo than you never have problems like that
>
> just compile it for whatever with gcc-whatever

The price-free nxserver is binary-only.  Its list of supported
platforms is eerily impressive, and it's surprising that it doesn't
work on etch when it does on Ubuntu 7.04.  I'd think it would likely
be quite difficult to get running under Gentoo as well.

Freenx is the Free nx server and is GPL.  And even if there's no
binary package for one's platform, you certainly don't need to run
Gentoo to have a compiler installed.

BTW, it's probably a good idea for Gentoo's sake not to try to promote
it in this way: you will only ever turn people away.  Indeed, I think
we all often make similar mistakes when we attempt to promote Linux to
the wider community - probably worth reading the Linux Advocacy Mini
Howto for better ways to promote Linux and indeed your favourite
distro.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk