[Gllug] css upgrade - the holy grail

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sun May 27 21:29:22 UTC 2007

Hi all, especially Pete, John, Paul, Richard and Martin.
I am extremely grateful for all the comments and I agree with most of
them and have learned a great deal from them.

I have adjusted the 'Mac' settings so there is no alert message.
I have removed the GPL and Xml lines. I imagine Paul that if you'd have
managed to get redirected to my catchall page which was called
"naffbrowser.html" you'd have been even more disappointed. I've now
renamed this index1.html :-).

I did have a <noscript> version and intend to put this back into
index.html shortly once I've removed all the old tables from it etc.
I did test the previous index.html page in Lynx and it used to work
well. The website was last revamped in 2003 and apart from the
index.html page it's mostly still from that vintage. The Javascript
"rollovers" are not strictly rollovers in that they occur when you
rollover the text links, but not when you rollover the small images that
change. This produces a slightly different effect to most css based
rollovers. What influence this has on the speed of page loading I'm not
sure. So, in summary, there's plenty of work to do to get my whole
website up to scratch, but I'm pleased to find that the "holy grail" css
in my revamped index.html page has apparently worked reasonably well in
a variety of browsers and even on a Mac, which as you can gather is not
a platform that gets much attention from me.
I know the phrase "blue and green should never be seen" from a fashion
context, but personally I can't see anything wrong with aqua on web
pages :-).
--
Regards,
Mark Preston