[Gllug] mythtv openSUSE dvb-t cards

michael norman michaeltnorman at ukfsn.org
Sun May 20 13:41:41 UTC 2007

Hi

I would like to run mythtv using openSUSE 10.2, using a dvb-t card.  The
mythtv upen SUSE howto http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Opensuse_10.2
leads me to think that this is possible if I find a suitable card and
installing the SUSE packages.

In the hardware section about dvb-t devivices
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Opensuse_10.2#DVB.2C_the_Digital_TV_Card
it tells me about the Hauppauge Nova-T  "This card should be installed
automatically under openSUSE 10.2. It should Just Work™, no installs or
config needed"

In the case of the Leadtek LR6650/ DTV1000 - DVBT PCI card it says that " This
card works out-of-the-box with openSUSE 10.2. It does not use proprietary
drivers, but instead open source drivers which are included on the openSUSE
10.2 installation media. Remote needs custom custom driver. See the the page
on this website: http://www.acaciaclose.co.uk/16253/138855.html "

My problem is that I've tried a couple of samples of each card and in neither
case would SUSE detect them, either OOTB or after installing what I thought
were the right packages of drivers.

With the Hauppage card it worked in XP (dualbott) but SUSE saw it as a USB
device.

The Leadtek was not detected at all by SUSE or knoppiv and I didn't try try it
with XP.

At which point I should say that I am confident that I know how to install
hardware having built my own boxes for the last 10 years or so.

So my questions is

Anybody on this list using openSUSE with either one of the cards I've tried ;
and if so can you give me the exact source of supply as in which exact model
and chipset.

In addition to that any suggestions for any other card or usb card. or distro
very welcome

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk