[Gllug] Bluetooth

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Mon May 21 10:06:48 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a bluetooth device configured on a thinkpad T41.
Thinkwiki says it has an integrated bluetooth device.

I've installed the bluez stack, and also have the ibm-acpi kernel
module running, but this shows:

$ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
status:		not installed

hcitool dev shows no devices.

I'm using a stock Debian Etch kernel, which seems to have all the
bluetooth drivers available:

# Bluetooth device drivers
#
CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB_SCO=y
CONFIG_BT_HCIUART=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_H4=y
CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_BCSP=y
CONFIG_BT_HCIBCM203X=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBPA10X=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBFUSB=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIDTL1=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBT3C=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBLUECARD=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBTUART=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIVHCI=m
CONFIG_IEEE80211=m
# CONFIG_IEEE80211_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_WEP=m
CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_CCMP=m
CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_TKIP=m
CONFIG_IEEE80211_SOFTMAC=m
# CONFIG_IEEE80211_SOFTMAC_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y

$ lsmod | grep blue
bluetooth              45956  4 rfcomm,l2cap

and dmesg shows:
Bluetooth: Core ver 2.10
NET: Registered protocol family 31
Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8
Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8

What am I doing wrong?  I had a look in the bios to see if bluetooth
was disabled, but couldn't actually see an option.  I am beginning to
wonder if I'm being a goat, and that there isn't actually a bluetooth
device on this machine?  Or am I missing something else?

Thanks,

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk