[Gllug] css upgrade - the holy grail

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun May 27 15:02:42 UTC 2007

Get rid of the Javascript warning.  *Never* tell your visitors off for
the choices they have made.  Would you stand at the door of the
dentist and tell people off if they were wearing a hat because you
happened not to like hats?

Remove the GPL comment - it just adds to the size of the page without
being useful.

Remove the <?xml ... ?> from the top of the document.  It causes IE to
go into quirks mode, and apparently isn't necessary.  The strict
DOCTYPE is good however.

Page URLs should be descriptive.

Have different (and meaningful) <TITLE>s for each page.  The META
DESCRIPTION is good.

You don't need Javascript to do rollovers.  CSS is more than capable
of doing this.

Move the content up to the top of the HTML file.  (View source on
http://merjis.com/ for how to do this).

Use <ul> to mark up lists such as the site menu.  And <ol> for
numbered lists.  Never use tables for layout.

I found that some pages are slow to load.  Appears to be a DNS issue
as far as I can see.  As a guide you should aim for the page to be
visible in 2 seconds, and fully loaded in under 8, although these can
be hard to achieve because of variability in servers & networks.

Put some metrics in there.  Google Analytics is free.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat