[Gllug] Linux freezing

Matthew Joseph Smith indigojo_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 25 10:35:51 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a dual-processor Compaq AP550 Professional
Workstation from eBay.  I have used either Ubuntu (Feisty) or PCLinuxOS
2007 on it since I got it.

The problem is that the system keeps freezing.  The system becomes
completely unresponsive, the mouse will not move, it doesn't respond to
keyboard input, Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work either.  The only thing you
can do is simply switch it off.  I am generally a KDE user and have
noticed it most when using Kopete, but perhaps that's just because I use
it a lot.  This morning, I tried the live-CD version of Ubuntu, and it
froze within a minute of opening Firefox.  It always coincides with my
interacting with the system: I've never left the system, come back and
found it unresponsive, nor has it frozen during a long compile job, such
as Qt.

One thing I have noticed is that my dual processor setup was obviously
not installed properly, because every time I switch on, the computer
gives me a "1801 microcode patch error" and tells me to upgrade my BIOS.
  However, the system performs normally when I boot, except for these
occasional freezes.  I've searched the internet and found other reports
of Feisty freezing on people, although the nature of the crashes varies,
but nobody has mentioned this as a factor.

Would upgrading my BIOS cure this?  I've looked on the HP site and it
seems the updates require Windows to run, and although I have Windows XP
on my primary HDD, it will not boot since I transferred the drive from
another machine.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to make that work?

Regards,

Matt Smith
--

http://www.blogistan.co.uk/qt/