[Gllug] networking guide

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Thu May 31 12:06:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 11:14:03PM +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> To aggregate link bandwidth at layer 2, you need a switch that will do
> LACP (IEEE 802.3ad), then you can trunk links together.

LACP allows for trunks to be negotiated automatically, but you can often
also statically configure them and get the same benefits. I'm not sure
really which way's best - I've always done it statically, since I need
to configure VLAN stuff on the trunk anyhow..

> However, the
> linux bonding driver has a balance-rr mode that could be used with a
> gateway machine connected to two different DSL routers, to perform some
> aggregation, though this is at a higher layer than a straight LACP trunk
> of course.

True, although you'd have to treat the DSL lines as identical pipes,
which the ISP might not agree with.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk