[Gllug] Problems with ps2pdf

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Fri May 25 10:41:02 UTC 2007

On 25/05/07, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> On 25 May 2007, Peter Childs stated:
> > I have 3 Ubuntu 7.04 machines and a postscript file I wish to convert to
> pdf
> > using ps2pdf.
> >
> > 2 of them work fine the 3rd freezes and I'm not sure why.
>
> Identical GS versions?

Yes both freshly updated versions of Ubuntu.

> ps2pdf on the 3rd machine actually complete eventually after about 50
> secs,
> > but the machine has to swap heavely. This machine has 1G of memory (the
> > other two where it runs ok have 1/2G and 1/4G and takes just under 1secs
> > acording to time)
>
> If the GS versions are identical, it's probably a bug somewhere. If
> they're
> not, it might be an improvement.

I'm thinking a bug but that does not make sense either,

> I'm wondering if the problem could be libraries or some ghost script
> option
> > but I'm at a loss to know where to look.
>
> A GS bug looks likely.
>
> > I can get simular problem when printing pdf files using cups on this
> > computer (but not on the other two)
> > so I think the problem is with ghostscript. As gs file.pdf freezes on
> this
> > machine too.
>
> Owwww. Any PDF file, or just that one?

Well not any but quite a common subset. Files I've seen take a very long
time (its not really a freeze) include files produced by hylafax not just
our invoices.

> oh ps2pdf just calls gs with the correct switches from what I can work
> out.
>
> Yes.
>
> > all 3 machines are using gs-esd.
>
> Do you mean ESP Ghostscript? That might explain it: espgs is based on a
> really rather old GPL Ghostscript release, following which there have
> been *substantial* bugfixes and improvement in PDF handling.
>
> You probably want to try the latest AFPL release, 8.57.
>
> > Any ideas of even what to look at would be most useful
>
> Well, none of us can debug it without an example of the failing PS :)

Oh Ok I can swap that, I spose but quite a few debian packages are marked to
depend on gs-esp but I could just change the link in /etc/alternatives to
that.

Peter