[Gllug] (OT) Server spec for 100W power consumption

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Wed May 16 22:44:02 UTC 2007

I'm looking to build a 1U server which won't need more than 100W under load
in order to keep my colo costs down. Maybe go with a dual core Opteron but
I'm not sure which factors contribute most to power consumption:

- 7200rpm SATA vs. 10,000rpm SATA
- 2 disks without RAID vs. 4 disks with RAID 5
- RAID controller
- CPU: dual core Opteron / dual core AMD 64 X2
- 3Gb RAM

Which is the main power consumption factor? I'd like to have 4 SATA disks as
3 RAID 5 plus 1 host spare but if the 4 disks are going to take me over 100W
I'll settle for 2 x 7200rpm without RAID.

Anyone built anything with the new energy efficient dual core Opterons,
especially the new "High Efficiency" CPUs?

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk