[Gllug] Question re Linux compatibility of certain laptops

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri May 25 23:31:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 09:42 +0100, Pearson, Jamie wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> This is my first time writing a question to the group and it's a very
> simple one (well, actually it's a set of simple ones). I have been told
> by an IT shop that they cannot sell me a Thinkpad R60e for me to install
> a Linux distribution on because the thinkpad does not have a dual core
> processor, which is apparently required for a Linux distribution.

Either the salesman is clueless or conniving.

Linux can be run on some very old hardware, and has substantially lower
hardware requirements than Windows.

I run PCLinuxOS 2007 on a Thinkpad R51.  It is astonishingly fast, and
this distro found and correctly configured all the hardware without
intervention.  The only additions I've made to the basic install are
codecs for some proprietary media formats which not included on the
basic install disk for fear of falling foul of the DMCA in the 'States,
and a few programmes specific to my work.

Regards

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk