[Gllug] networking guide

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Wed May 30 21:14:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 12:55:22PM +0100, countd wrote:
> On 5/30/07, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I can't say I have used 'ip'  as opposed to 'ifconfig',   but with regard to
> > IP routing I have always used 'route' to set and inspect the routing tables !
>
> So I was told the other day, ifconfig is only clinging on like grim
> death for reasons of backwards compatibility with scripts. Could be
> complete tripe, can anyone else shed light on this?

If you can get ip to accept a dotted-quad netmask, let me know how :)

It all seems to be CIDR, which I don't mind, but sometimes you have
dotted quad addresses to deal with and need to convert (a bit of
bitshifting does the trick nicely enough, but shouldn't be necessary,
surely?)

For your routing queries, have a read of the Linux Advanced Routing and
Traffic Control howto at lartc.org - it covers just your situation,
although it is, erm, terse...

The ip command (and quagga/zebra) and the tc command seem woefully
underdocumented, but maybe I've not been looking in the right places.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk