[Gllug] Converts to Linux

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Tue Nov 6 22:12:16 UTC 2007

Riq wrote:
> I have recently convinced three individuals that the machine I supplied
> to them should be SuSE Linux 10.2, not Windows.
> My arguments were
> 1) freedom from viruses and need for constant updates

Doesn't that imply that Linux does not need updates?

> 2) price
>
> I undertook to install Windows within the first 90 days for the cost of
> the software if they were not happy.

Would it not have been a good idea to throw in some free
support/training during that 90 day period as well/instead? If you are
going to ask people to "leap into the unknown" (as you so optimistically
put it) the least you could do is provide them with a guiding hand.

<snip>
> I anticipate the next problem will be .docx files. It is really a shame
> that OpenOffice have still not taken this on. We have a real opportunity
> with MS users starting
> to receive .docx files and being expected to shell out £££ for Office 2007

Hmm - unless they get the free (of charge) converter for one of the
earlier versions of MS Office. Incidentally if you use say Office XP and
try to open a docx file, it prompts you to get the convertor. I doubt
many users will feel expected to shell out.
There's also an argument for educating them about open standards and the
need for them with regards longevity of document storage/retrieval and
vendor lock-in.

Seeing as you recommend SuSE in the first place - why not also give them
the Novell OpenXML translator?
http://www.novell.com/documentation/openwg/esd/di_ooo_openxml_translator.html

> To sum up, we have quite small problems which could be fixed soon if
> priorities were based on winning ex-MS users.

You don't mention whom you expect to resolve these problems but it
doesn't seem like you want to get involved - why not?

"Our" problems are relative - it all depends upon what we are trying to
achieve. If it's world domination then our problems are fairly big. If
it's converting one or two people then the problems are small and
probably surmountable by us individually rather than as a group.

I'm not so sure that the best approach is to "convert" people simply
because we think/know Linux is better. I'd rather work alongside
individuals discovering their needs and helping them to satisfy *them*
using Free Software - Linux if possible but one step at a time with some
hand-holding during the transitional phase. It's not so much about
conversion but education, IMHO.

> We would then start to build numbers of users which would lead to the
> resolution of browser incompatibility and lead to less perception of
> Linux being a leap into the unknown.

"Browser incompatibility" - by which I take it you mean websites that
insist upon a single browser - has little if anything to do with choice
of OS. Firefox runs on Windows too.

cheers,
Ryan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk