[Gllug] Practical release and deployment - how?

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 14:00:05 UTC 2007

On 11/7/07, Ziya Suzen <ziya at suzen.net> wrote:

> Another thing is the HTML files (or HTML templates. PHP files and
> such). We keep them in svn as well and deploying them as RPM or using
> svn/branches is almost impossible since designers will require
> click-the-button-tools to be able to work with such a system. What are
> your thoughts about managing these in web installations?

If you're letting your designers put changes live themselves, then I'd
say you're already in a whole world of pain.

Personally, I use a set of hand rolled build scripts for putting stuff
live. They check the latest version out of source control, copy it to
the live machines with a new (unique) version number, and then repoint
a symlink to the new version. That gives easy backout in the event of
failure, and a nice audit trail showing who released what and when.

Tet

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk