[Gllug] Practical release and deployment - how?

Ziya Suzen ziya at suzen.net
Wed Nov 7 13:23:46 UTC 2007

Hi there

What do you use (as tools or practices) for releasing and deploying
your code (internal to the company)?

I am managing a bunch of RHEL 4 boxes (both production &
test/development) and developing websites for several clients (order
of ten). Using SVN for source control. Currently what I have is
basically SVN HEAD is what should be deployed/installed (basically
copied over) on all the test/staging, development and production
servers. However this is proving to be a little burden since I can't
really track my changes during development since I can't commit
anything until it's ready to be deployed. I should probably use
svn/branches and so on to achieve this and possibly use RPM to deploy
code. But it sounds like too much of an overhead sometimes, I can't
convince myself doing that. What is your experience?

Another thing is the HTML files (or HTML templates. PHP files and
such). We keep them in svn as well and deploying them as RPM or using
svn/branches is almost impossible since designers will require
click-the-button-tools to be able to work with such a system. What are
your thoughts about managing these in web installations?

Thanks in advance.

--Ziya
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk