[Gllug] Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 23:21:55 UTC 2007

I regularly grepped the logs for user agents (I was root at bbc.co.uk
from 1998 to 2006), as I took an interest in browser usage and UNIX
use (and Lynx use).

UNIX use dropped from about 4% to about 0.8% in that time (that
represents an increase in Linux users, just a lower proportion).

Unless there has been a massive drop in Linux users to the site in the
past year since I left, the initial figures are way off.  I also know
that the standard reporting tools were analog, grep, or a special tool
explicitly written to pull out user agent stats and group by OS (there
are SPARC Solaris IE and Opera users to count in the UNIX camp), it
sort of weighted against IE on Windows, by assuming, unknown = UNIX is
some cases ;)  It wasn't even written by our department, which was a
UNIX shop!

Netscape Navigator/Communicator vs IE was 60:40 when I started
it got to 1:99 before firefox usage grew back in the last year or two.

Damion

Damion Yates - damion at google.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk