[Gllug] Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

David david at aliada.plus.com
Tue Nov 6 13:50:32 UTC 2007

Peter Childs wrote:

> hmm most ordinary people don't care, if there computer arrived with
> OS2 on it they would not care so long as it does what they need it to.
>
> Old story of if its not broken then don't fix it. Why are there so
> many people who still use IE when firefox is available and so much better?
>
> If we want people to use linux then we have to show.
>
> 1. Its better than windows ie more stable less likely to crash
> 2. everything they want will run.
> 3. Some extra value added they can't do with otherwise *that they
> actually want to do*
>
> The mac manages this and hence has a growing market share. Linux can
> do this but its hard work to demonstrate.
>
> Peter.
Emm, I don't follow this 'argument'.
 If people don't care about the operating system that is installed on
their kit, when they purchase it, I am puzzled as to why we should
persuade them to change it. Isn't it a better use of resources to work
on the manufacturers? But, then, what do I know? I'm only a user.

David Reed
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk