[Gllug] GPL & Licence Fees

Josef Assad josef.assad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 22:56:57 UTC 2007

Ken Smith wrote:
> Any GPL experts who might have a view on this....
>
> I came across a linux based firewall at a client that appeared to be a
> cut down Debian like configuration. The client is being charged an
> annual licence fee for this firewall. Is this legit?
>
> I would understand a one off fee for setting it up but an annual licence
>  feel seems rather heavy.

The GPL does not mandate business models nor revenue stream
characteristics. If:

A: This _is_ Debian-based (i.e. GPL'ed at the origin)
B: The source code for the firewall software is being made available on
reasonable terms
C: Said source code includes changes the OEM has made
D: There are no funny tack-on licenses which inhibit the basic freedoms
expressed by the GPL (i.e. redistribution of source, modification of
source, etc.)

Then chances are it's legit.

But then, I'm no lawyer.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk