[Gllug] Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Fri Nov 2 15:01:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 01:38:29PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> Please sign, it takes a minute.

Yeees......so, head of technology looks into web logs, pulls out the recorded
statistics to give numbers of people accessing the website: "We have 17.1
million users of bbc.co.uk in the UK, and, as far as our server logs can make
out, 5 per cent of those [use Macs] and around 400 to 600 are Linux users". I
can see why he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about....

Folks, if you want to show the BBC that more people use Linux than they record
in their logs, then browse the site using a browser on Linux! Don't sign some
petition, but do something *useful* about it.

Dan

> ----- Forwarded message from Richard Bennett <richard.bennett at skynet.be> -----
>
> Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:31:53 +0100
> From: "Richard Bennett" <richard.bennett at skynet.be>
> Subject: [WAUK] Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!
> To: wauk at workalone.co.uk
>
> Hi,
>
> The BBC's head of technology, Ashley Highfield, in making excuses for the
> iPlayer, claims that only 400-600 people access the BBC website using
> Linux!
> A petition was setup to help assess how wrong he is. If you access
> www.bbc.co.uk using GNU/Linux, please sign up.
>
> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/linuxbbc
>
> Here's the article where he justifies a Windows-only iplayer because Mac
> users are only 5% and Linux 400 to 600 people out of their 17 million
> visitors.
> http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/internet-and-broadband/news/bbc-not-in-bed-with-bill-gates-over-iplayer?articleid=36522951
>
> Richard.
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
> Alain Williams
> Linux Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT Lecturer.
> +44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
> Parliament Hill Computers Ltd. Registration Information: http://www.phcomp.co.uk/contact.php
> Chairman of UKUUG: http://www.ukuug.org/
> #include <std_disclaimer.h>
> --

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than
we deserve.
		-- George Bernard Shaw
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk