[Gllug] VoIP at home, softphone, interoperability

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Tue Nov 27 17:32:25 UTC 2007

Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 04:10:04PM +0000, Rich wrote:
>>
>> I spent several days attempting to get SIP to work, and gave up. Which
>> surprised me - I guess that Skype has got all the non-technical SIP
>> users...
>
> This surprises me; configuring a SIP client to use a service usually
> requires no more than a username, password and server name/address.
> I've used Twinkle (mentioned earlier in the thread) with several
> different VOIP systems and it never took more than a minute to get it
> working.

Ah - there's the problem. For Skype, I just need the program and then I
login.

For SIP, I need to find a client, try to configure it, work out I need a
SIP service, read various unclear websites about SIP services, try and
find one to use to get the system running, think I've got one sorted,
make sure my firewall handles SIP correctly, reconfigure the client, try
and find a test number to call, stare at the non-working system, think
about how long I could spend trying to get it all working, remove the
packages and go back to Skype.

I'm sure it's possible, but the barrier to entry is high enough that
it's unlikely to happen...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk