[Gllug] Advice on becoming a (pro-Linux) IT consultant

Toby Waterford toby.waterford at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 27 00:05:28 UTC 2007

I'm in my 20s and considering a career change into full-time IT. I use Linux
myself, plus am knowledgeable on Mac and Windows, and in my current work
have found myself being the person who sorts out the IT even though it's not
officially my principle role (doing pretty much everything from setting up
Joomla-managed websites to installing new systems).

I'm wondering how feasible it would be for me (I have no official IT
qualifications) to make the switch into IT work full time, perhaps as some
form of consultant or directly employee?

How valuable are certifications like Red Hat Linux Certified
Technician/Engineer? If they are valuable, which sort of certification is
best from a career point of view (RedHat, Novell)? I have a Linux bias:
would it be a mistake to ignore Windows Servers and getting related
certifications?

Toby