[Gllug] GPL & Licence Fees

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Tue Nov 13 20:02:45 UTC 2007

"Peter Childs" <peterachilds at gmail.com> writes:

> Hense by buying a commercial licence for Qt you are buying the right to
> break the GPL which in theory you could be taken to court for so the Qt
> commercial licence is not a licence at all but an emunity from prosecution.

Qt was written by a company and put under more than one license. The
version you get when you pay for it is, I understand, under a non-GPL
license, which they can do because they own the rights. Hence, your
commercial use is not covered by the GPL, because you acquired a
different license.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk