[Gllug] VoIP at home, softphone, interoperability

amd_uk amd_uk at lineone.net
Wed Nov 28 13:09:10 UTC 2007

A couple of years ago I found myself in the position of needing to talk
to decidedly non-technical people over in yankland, so I ended up with a
couple of solutions running at the same time depending on whether or not
the people at the other end had access to a computer to run a soft phone on.

I had a Zoom X5v ADSL modem (router) that had an ATA built in. It also
had Zoom's own SIP provider, Global Village, pre-installed and, whilst
costlier than many of the VoIP providers, was fairly simple to set-up
and use. I hired myself a number in a specific US city for £5-£6 a month
and could receive normal phone calls at no cost to the person making the
phone call (I had to pay about 1.5p per minute to receive the calls but
there are cheaper alternatives).
The hardware was all built in to the router so there were no issues with
the firewall and QoS had less steps in the network to worry about.

I also tried several different VoIP clients. Unfortunately Skype
wouldn't run on some machines at their end so I ended up going through
some generic SIP soft phones and ended up with Gizmo Project (running on
Windows, I've only used it on windows so that's where my experience
comes from). This is a SIP client that echoes Skype in its simplicity of
set-up and use. Your connection is linked to an account and you log-in
to the service with a user name and password. I don't recall any other
SIP-specific setting up beyond that and the non-technical people at the
other end had no problems installing and using the software.
Whilst Gizmo Project is not open, it can use SIP (apparently, I only
ever had Gizmo Project at both ends) and would sort of inhabit the
ground between Skype, closed to anyone other than other Skype users, and
purely SIP, which can be used by any number of different soft-phones and
ATAs.

I had a look at Asterix, but it was way too much for what I wanted to
do. trixbox (which was Asterix at home) looks to be a Linux distro with
Asterix built in and may be worth having a play with if you're interested.

Andrew.