[Gllug] Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 09:41:15 UTC 2007

On Sat 03 Nov, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 12:50:16AM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>
> > > so screw em quite frankly - I couldn't give a toss what they say anymore
> >
> > I'll go along with that!
>
> Unfortunately many people take what they say as the truth ... we can't afford
> to take that attitude.

   Staff used to be proud to work for the BBC and delighted to go out of
their way to achieve the best possible.
   The BBC is now forced to contract out as many services as possible, and
their suppliers are interested in getting the highest rates for the minimum
effort. The suppliers can often obtain additional rewards from other
sources, either by supplying to more than one client (using bits edited out
from one programme to form a second "exclusive" programme, which might then
be transmitted just before the main contract programme), or tailoring
content so as to comply with outside interests.
   If the BBC is forced to contract out, and there is a very limited choice
of supplier(s), then the BBC is also forced to accept what is available.
   There was a big increase in people involved in administration just trying
to organise freelance and contract staff to fill the gaps after operational
staff redundancies, but it was not obvious because many admin staff were not
permanent BBC staff members, so did not appear in all relevant lists.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk