[Gllug] CPU Temperature

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:15:20 UTC 2007

I've just acquired a machine for  client which functions as a
firewall/router/gateway for a small home office.  The machine will be
living in the office, and it's presently very noisy (fans).

The processor is a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

The noise with the processor fan on is so significant, that I've been
asked to remove it altogether pending getting something quieter.  It's
been off for a day or so now, and the CPU temperature reported by
mbmon appears to be around 60 degrees.  A few questions:

1) Any idea what the temperature tolerance of these processors is?
Could it conceivably do without a fan, at 60-70 degree?
2) Is it possible to 'underclock' the processor?  The machine's not
doing much, so maybe this could make the processor run cooler?  I
looked at cpudynd, but in no detail - I got:

cpudynd: CPU frequency control disabled

when I tried it.

3) Any recommendations for a silent fan / case?  I don't want to spend
very much... but if I can't get away with no fan, something silent
will have to do.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk