[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Oct 26 07:31:13 UTC 2007

On 26 Oct 2007, nix at esperi.org.uk said:
> Briefly. If the process were scalable and cheap, it would destroy the
> economy very rapidly.

I'm wrong, of course.

It would destroy the *manufacturing* economy very rapidly, leaving the
service economy intact. So you'd get a medium-sized depression in the
UK, a big one in Italy, and China would be up shit creek, as would the
Middle East if you were lucky enough to have a matter duplicator that
could duplicate e.g. oil with minimal energy input. (Of course this
breaks all sorts of physical laws, but I figure that as long as we're
playing with matter duplication at all mere physical laws aren't that
serious).

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk