[Gllug] Linux Certification Opinions or facts please?

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Sun Oct 21 10:45:28 UTC 2007

Ryan Cartwright wrote:

> Just FYI we have a training budget assigned to each staff member and I
> regularly ask my team if there are courses etc. they want to go on.
> Normally they say no. Recently they suggested we use some of the money
> to buy a Safari[1] subscription for the team, which we did and that has
> gone down a treat. I use it too :o)

My best techs tend to be too hands-on to read. I do the reading :)

In fact, my best techs want management training - which I find worrying!

> So from an employer's POV - if someone had LPI I would consider it a
> bonus above someone without but only if both had similar experience
> levels.

That's what I was looking for, thanks.

I have had a good look at LPI and it covers a whole lot of areas that I
don't know at all well. So I am coming to the view that it is an
excellent indication of breadth of knowledge. There is very little,
however, that demonstrates understanding in depth.

So I think I will use it for the first aspect.

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk