[Gllug] Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 21:22:10 UTC 2007

On 17 Oct 2007, tethys at gmail.com verbalised:

> On 10/17/07, Thomi Richards <thomir at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, I haven't done any formal benchmark testing, but I can tell you
>> that I run my /home and /srv directories via an NFS/SMB share. Running
>> those shares at 100MBps is slooooow...
>
> Really? Mine seem to run just fine. I haven't observed any noticable
> performance problems from having NFS mounted home directories on a
> 100Mb/s network.

I've noticed it, but only when throwing gigabytes around.

For normal I/O, and especially for things like find(1), the delay is on
the disk end. I know my 100Mb/s network can throw data around somewhat
faster than the RAID-5 array backing its NFS-mounted drives can read or
write data. (Maybe much faster disks could fix this, but the PCI bus
isn't all that terribly fast itself...)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk