[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Oct 26 07:33:32 UTC 2007

On 25 Oct 2007, Bernard Peek stated:

> Alain Williams wrote:
>> So what do you think about my old Pink Floyd vynils, is it OK if I copy MP3s/CDs/...
>> since I have bought the original LPs ? I am just making things more convenient for
>> myself.
>>
>> The record companies don't like it, but 'morally' am I doing anything wrong ?
>>
> Interestingly enough that's pretty clearly a copyright violation.
> Copying music from one format to another is creating what's called a
> "derivative work" and it's similar to photocopying a book.

Mechanical translations aren't derivative works, are they? You have
a mechanical copy of the original work, but you don't gain any rights
in it (saving the odious database directive) merely because you
translated it from one format to another.

(Translation from one *natural language* to another clearly requires
creative input.)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk