[Gllug] [OT] - Looking for a job (Part 2)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Oct 21 12:21:03 UTC 2007

On 21 Oct 2007, Wenceslao Requejo told this:

> If I am being too careful regarding the distribution of my software is
> because I being advice to do so by an American diabetes suffered that
> created an Open Source application to map the food intake onto blood
> sugar changes, some sort of database with loads of different types of
> food and how each would affect your blood sugar levels. As far as my
> understanding goes the GNU/GPL doesn't provide any protection against
> tort and liability may someone misuse the software and hurt him/herself.

Well, it tries to disclaim all warranty, but this is impossible in many
jurisdictions.

Of course merely restricting downloads doesn't help, unless you never
distribute the software at all: anyone you distribute it to can
redistribute it under the terms of the GPL, receiving a license
*directly from you*.

So this is only a short-term stopgap, really.

(IANAL, of course)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk