[Gllug] 64 bit v 32 bit

Yashpal Nagar yash at linux-delhi.org
Sat Oct 27 21:39:02 UTC 2007

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I have two desktops that are capable of running 64bit OSes though both
> are currently running 32 bit Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> Is it worth upgrading - and will backing home directories on to tape,
> clean install of amd64 Ubuntu 7.10 and then restoring the home
> directories work for this? I did this last weekend for the other half
> when giving her a shiny new box so I know it will do the job for the
> same bit width...
>
> Thoughts? Will I see any material difference in performance or is this
> just me indulging in my fascination for technology for no other reason?

It basically depends, if you intend to use more processing, with large
amount of memory, then yes, it is worth upgrading.
Why not use the full potential of the CPU, when you have the hardware
available? if you are using desktops moderately then the performance
difference would not be noticeable.

Rgds
Yash

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk