[Gllug] advertisement sent through glugg announce

Frank Scott lists at frasco.org.uk
Wed Oct 3 12:29:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 12:07:02PM +0100, Dean Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 11:54:34AM +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:
> > Well it was copied to tjoshi at lonix.org and I think he has posting rights
> > to it. I guess he's the one who needs bollocking ;)
>
> Everyone's allowed the first mistake; and considering that we had no policy
> calling it a mistake might be a little harsh.
>
> Although it's Tushar, so what the hell ;)

I let this post through and I make no apologies for it.

I was at the GLLUG meeting that decided to set up the announce list. It
was set up at a time when most people had low band width dial up
connections. People were complaining of having to trawl through the
tittle-tatter of the main list when they only wanted notice of meetings.
I don't remember any rquirement that the list would be restricted to
GLLUG meetings. Indeed I seem to remember posts for Lonix/UKUUG
sponsored meetings at City University in the past.

If people want to change this policy, I suggest we have a vote at the
next GLLUG meeting.

The  UKUUG is a not for profit organisation. The fee of  143GBP is very low for a
one day seminar and if you don't like the price you don't have to go.

In the past GLLUG has very much benefitted from the help and support of Alastair Kergon
of UKUUG and refusing the odd short post advertising London meetings
seems petty.

Frank
--
    /V\    : ;`  :   Frank Scott  Sutton, London
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk