[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Wed Oct 31 22:27:15 UTC 2007

Philip Hands wrote:
> Also, because he had a chance to experiment, he did a better job with
> AutoCAD, which probably made sure that the company were slightly more loyal
> AutoCAD clients than they would otherwise have been, and he went on to do
> CAD work elsewhere, and presumably too his knowledge of AutoCAD with him,
> and recommended it to his subsequent employers, so if anything that act of
> copyright infringement would have increased the resulting sales of AutoCAD.

I'm aware of this case, or something similar, and no it doesn't wobble
my compass.  It's not your choice to decide that a software house
wouldn't really mind you using your stuff in the evening at home.

Microsoft are smart and provide licencing schemes that allows employers
to give employees Microsoft software to use on their home machines.
Thus ensuring the prevelance of Office and Outlook and so on.  They know
_damn well_ they even without the licence the chances are the home PC
will have a less-than-authorized version of the software on it anyway.
Microsoft may as well be seen to be trying to be nice.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk