[Gllug] Cheap Linux PC, I'll get me coat

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 10:28:28 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:08:43AM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 11:03 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> > The blurb doesn't say what sort of NIC it has on board.
> > But could be good for a high school/student type build your own cluster
> > project.
>
> A decent PCI NIC isn't going to set anyone back very much though.

It doesn't mention a NIC, but I would be surprised if there wasn't one on the
motherboard ... something perfectly OK for home use.

What I find more interesting and unanswered is how Tesco expects people to
connect this to the Internet. Most people will have a USB modem (because
they are cheapest). The last time that I used one of those (an Alcatel
speed touch - the round blue things) it was not a simple job to get to work;
OK that was a few years ago - are things better these days ?

BTW: what would people recommend as a UTP providing broadband modem these days ?
Many of them have management interfaces that *really* suck!

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk