[Gllug] Copyright on email

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 15:46:07 UTC 2007

A comment from a friend of mine on the idea of counter sueing.

----- Forwarded message from laurence

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:35:28 +0100
Subject: Re: Copyright on email
To: Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk>

I don't think it would work.  Computer misuse (criminal and civil
remedies) is covered by CMA and I do not think the law recognises the
sending of unwanted email to be any kind of misuse (although the
situation is different in the USA), except perhaps in very large volumes
(email bombs) that would interfere with normal use of machine.
Moreover, you too would have suffered no damages and any counterclaim
even if successful would be subject to the same shortcomings as their
claim. Also, your having an email address which you have somehow
circulated is an invitation to persons to email you, just as having an
address and a letterbox is an invitation to persons to send you letters
and circulars. If however, you were to put the company on notice that
you do not wish to receive any further such emails and they failed to
comply, you would have a somewhat stronger cause for complaint (again,
subject to proof of damages).

Laurence

----- End forwarded message -----

--