[Gllug] Data recovery question

jamest at iotia2.demon.co.uk jamest at iotia2.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 12:52:02 UTC 2007

Dear All:

At work, I've got this old Indy server, whose system disk has died. On some external drives attached to the computer's SCSI port, is data that I need to save to another system or burn to DVD.

Does anyone know if I can use a Linux machine to examine and read from the external drives?  I know that the Kernel supports SGI disklabels and XFS, but does Linux XFS support the on-disk format of a disk that has been set up and written to by IRIX (version about 6.5)?

My system's Kernel is 2.6.22 or so, and is configured to read SGI disklabels and has an XFS driver module.  I assume that I need an xfsprogs package; what is the minimum version of mount(8) that I should have on the system?

TTIA
--
James Tullett
Trite Saying under development